In the event of a gas emergency in your home, you should always take the following actions to be safe:
- DO NOT smoke or light matches
- DO NOT turn electrical switches on or off
- Open doors and windows
- Turn the meter off at the control handle (unless your meter is in the cellar)
- Ensure you call the National Gas Emergency Number (0800 111 999)
Gas Emergency Prevention
‘Prevention is better than cure’ as they say. It’s important that you keep your home #GasSafe – to help prevent the occurrence of a gas emergency.
One of the best things you can do, to help prevent a gas emergency, is to have any gas appliances inspected and serviced annually by Gas Fast, who are Gas Safe registered engineers.
If you live in a rented property and you’re a tenant, you can always speak to your landlord or letting agency about making sure your boiler is serviced every year; you can also ask for a copy of the safety certificate to check.
You should not operate a faulty boiler and should seek to immediately get it repaired. Signs of a dangerous boiler include:
- Soot around the boiler
- A orange or yellow weak flame, instead of a strong blue flame
- A pilot light which when blown, goes out easily
Carbon Monoxide Emergency
WARNING: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can be fatal. It’s paramount that you understand the warning signs and dangers that a carbon monoxide leak could bring to your home.
If you don’t have a carbon monoxide alarm, you should purchase one.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Shortness of Breath
- Stomach Pain
- Heart Attack
- Loss of Consciousness (which can lead to death within minutes)
As you can see, the symptoms and consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning can be extremely dangerous and even fatal.
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds off, or if you suspect there may be a carbon monoxide leak, you should do the following:
- Stop using all appliances and turn them off
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the building
- Evacuate Immediately (Remember to stay calm and avoid raising your heart rate)
- Call 0800 111 999 to report the leak or the Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363
- Don’t go back into the building – wait until your told it’s safe by the emergency services
- Seek medical attention immediately; even if you feel fine (fresh air does not treat poisoning)
Globally, roughly 36,800 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning (4.6 per million). It’s important that you have your gas appliances serviced regularly to prevent this from happening.
Carbon Monoxide can leak from anything that burns gas, oil, coal and wood; so this means that you should have the following appliances inspected often:
- Central Heating Systems
- Water Heaters